School Improvement Goals
DeWitt Public Schools promotes student learning and achievement by providing leadership, guidance and support that directly impacts teaching and learning, school leadership and continuous school improvement. Each school has developed school improvement goals to support these activities.
David Scott Elementary School Improvement Goals
In the area of school improvement the Scott staff, led by our school leadership team in conjunction with the District School Improvement Team, has continued to focus on the areas of literacy and math. Our district has adopted the Lucy Calkins writing program in grades kindergarten through five. Our school improvement goals are:
- All students will become proficient writers across all content areas
- All students will improve in reading proficiency across all content areas
- All students will improve in math proficiency
In order to meet these goals, we have put in place the following strategies:
- Teachers will implement the Calkins' units of study in Opinion, Information, and Narrative Writing: A Common Core Workshop Curriculum. Teachers continue to benefit from professional development activities as they implement this program.
- Teachers will implement the Rigby Reading program and focus on lessons involving close, analytical reading of complex tests. In addition, teachers will continue to receive training on small group, differentiated reading instruction.
- Principal will work alongside the early reading interventionist to support regular progress monitoring in order to inform instruction and small group intervention design.
- Teachers will be provided ongoing training of instructional practices aligned to the Common Core State Standards of Mathematical Practice by implementing the Eureka Math program. In addition, principal will monitor the implementation of the Common Core State Standard math units.
- Teachers will start the adoption of the new Michigan Science Standards and align them horizontally and vertically across grade levels.
- Principal and school improvement leaders will receive initial and ongoing training on the use of Atlas and Illuminate, data warehouse systems.