The Scott Spotlight
Start of the School Year Issue
August 13, 2020
- Face to Face Instruction Start Time: 8:15 a.m. (First bell rings at 8:10 a.m.)
- Dismissal Time: 3:05 p.m.
Week of Aug. 17: Class Placements Viewable in Infinite Campus
Aug. 20: Virtual Open House 6-7 p.m. (Your classroom teacher will share more details with you.)
Aug. 24: First Day of School
Sept. 4 & Sept. 7: No School—Labor Day Weekend
Dear Scott School Families,
Welcome to Scott School! Although the start of this school year is unlike any we have ever experienced, I must say it hasn't dulled my excitement to get things underway. Our Scott School staff recognizes and empathizes with the challenges that your family faces as you problem solve how to balance remote learning and other family and work responsibilities you are juggling. We are all striving to phase back into full time face to face instruction as soon as safely possible and hoping the pathway to getting there is without setbacks. The outpouring of encouragement, affirmations, and appreciation from our families has kept our Scott School staff going. We are grateful for the support and want to give it back to our families. It's evident everyone is truly giving it their all . We' will continue to find new ways to do things as we navigate through the ruckus COVID-19 has wreaked on all of our daily routines. I truly mean it when I say that there is no other community that I would want to be on this journey with. Thank you for partnering with our school team and joining us on the 2020-21 school year adventure. Our team is continuing to plan and prepare, and updates will be shared with you as they become available. Here are some important points to help you get started in your own preparation for a successful year:
- Our office staff are back in the building and can be reached by phone M-F from 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. at 668-3400. Our office will remain closed to the public until further notice.
- Class lists are still being completed (thank you for your patience). You can expect to receive an email from me with instructions on how to access your child's classroom placement in Infinite Campus when all placements have been made. Please contact me immediately if you have changed your instructional preference for your child. Here are three options that were provided in a recent survey that was sent to families: 1. Return to in person instruction when it is safe to return to school. 2. Remote learning through the first trimester (November). 3. Remote learning for the entire year. Please contact me immediately if you have decided to change your instructional preference for your child to best meet his/her needs.
- The first day of school is Monday, August 24th, and instruction will be provided to all students remotely. Our Remote Learning Schedule is included in this newsletter to help you plan and also prepare your child for online learning. Our schedule will be adjusted when we phase into hybrid learning and also when students are back in the building full time for daily face to face learning.
- We will be working on a schedule for the first two weeks that will allow for special needs students and at-risk students to receive in person support at school. We will continue to plan for additional school opportunities for students and communicate them along the way.
- Masks are required by students and staff when we begin in person instruction. Please consider having your child practice mask wearing at home to become acclimated to wearing one. Also, please be sure you have enough masks for your child to wear a clean one to school every day. Sending an extra (or maybe a few) in your child's bag is also something to consider in case there is a need for a new one throughout the day. We will be providing mask breaks for students when safe and appropriate, and students will not be required to wear masks at recess. Social distancing along with hand washing and mask wearing will be taught to students. Mask wearing at recess may be revisited if students struggle maintaining social distancing. It is everyone's job to do their part to keep themselves and others safe.
Thank you for choosing Scott for your child’s school and trusting us with your child's care and education. We are looking forward to creating a strong team with you through positive communication and collaboration. I wholeheartedly believe that together we're better, and I look forward to our partnership this year!
Scott School Principal
Virtual Open House
Our Scott School Open House is scheduled on Thursday, 8/20 from 6-7 p.m. and will be done virtually this year. You can expect to learn specific details from your child's classroom teacher early next week after class placements are released.
Remote Learning Daily Schedule
Here is the daily schedule you can expect your child to follow while students are learning remotely.
Scott School Suggested General Supplies List
Teachers may share a more specific classroom list with families now or throughout the year as we shift from online to in person learning.
Thank you to those who have reached out and asked what needs our school has. We would be grateful for things such as:
- Disinfectant Wipes
- Hand Sanitizer
- Face Masks (to have on hand for those in need)
- Disposable Gloves
- Paper Towels
Please access the DPS Remote Learning Technology Access page about connectivity and devices if this is a need area for your child. It's important that our students have what they need to be successful learners. Don't hesitate to reach out; we're happy to help as much as possible.
Students will use Google Classroom for accessing their remote learning lessons. Teachers will guide students with how to use this platform. The Parent's Guide to Google Classroom is a helpful video resource for parents. Please consider watching it. This will help you be better informed on how to assist your child.
Students and staff will be required to wear masks inside the building. Mask breaks will be provided when safe and appropriate to do so. Parents/Guardians are also expected to wear masks when entering the vestibule at the front of the building. Our office is closed to guests, but secretaries will gladly assist you by phone. You can help your child adjust to wearing a mask by practicing at home for various amounts of time.
Guests in the Building
To reduce unnecessary exposure to students and staff, volunteers and other guests will not be allowed in the building during phase 4. This protocol may be revisited when we reach phase 5 and additional communication will be shared with families if it is determined appropriate to open our building to volunteers and guests. This includes access to our office. Until then, parents/guardians who enter the building will be required to stay in the vestibule to drop off or pick up items and to sign in or sign out their child. We are hoping this protocol isn't necessary all year because we love having volunteers and guests in our school.
There are some Scott students who have health-threatening nut allergies in our building. Scott School is a 'No Nut' building this year. Pack items that do not contain nuts for your child's lunch and snack when we return to in person instruction. It is critically important that we provide a safe learning environment for all students, and your help with this is needed and appreciated. Please always contact your child's teacher if you have a concern about an allergy or other health condition related to your child that they should be aware of. Also, if your child has a medical need, including food or other allergies, don't forget to update your child's Medical Management Plan by completing and submitting the district forms to the office when we return to brick and mortar instruction.
In order for Scott School personnel to administer medication to your child when we return to in person instruction, you must:
- Submit a completed district medication form to our office.
- Be sure all medications are brought to and stored in our office.
- Be sure prescription medication is in its original container accompanied with a physician’s signature.
- Be sure non-prescription medication is in its original container accompanied by a parent’s signature.
- Please communicate with your child's teacher if he/she takes medication daily at school.
- If your child has a medical condition, please be sure to complete a Medical Management Plan for your child and turn it in at the office.
Medication and other medical forms can be found on our DeWitt Public Schools website.
Looking for Additional Support?
Our school social worker, Mrs. Schwarz, is always willing to assist students and families in any way possible. In addition to working closely with your child's teacher, consider reaching out to her if you have questions or need support. She is truly amazing at what she does! She can be reached at 517-668-3446 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can expect further communication from Mrs. Schwarz about a social/emotional questionnaire for families to fill out with their child. Please be sure to help your child complete the questionnaire when you electronically receive as this will help to inform guidance services. Stay tuned!