The Scott Spotlight
November 8, 2019
Principal: Linda Reha
School Address: 804 Wilson St. DeWitt, MI 48820
Office Phone Number: 517-668-3400
Attendance Phone Number: 517-668-3458
Start Time: 8:30 a.m.
First bell rings at 8:25 a.m.
Students shouldn't arrive before 8:15 a.m.
Dismissal Time: 3:20 p.m.
Nov. 20: Half Day of School CLT (dismiss at 11:57 a.m.)
Nov. 22: Half Day of School Record Day (dismiss at 11:27a.m.)
Nov. 27, 28, 29: Thanksgiving Break (no school)
Dear Scott School Families,
Thanksgiving is nearing and this time of year prompts us to reflect on all that we are thankful for. I challenge you to reflect on your good fortune and consider whether your prosperity and circumstances are ones you've earned, were privileged to be born with, or a combination of both. "Privilege exists on a spectrum" according to an article titled, Are All White People Privileged? from the Cultural Intelligence Center. Privilege goes beyond race and ethnicity though. Identity traits such as citizenship, social class, sexual orientation, ability (able bodied or disabled), and gender are some additional privilege indicators that in many instances determine power. When we learn and understand what it means to be privileged, it helps aid us in teaching our children the importance of inclusion, acceptance, diversity, and equity. During this Thanksgiving season, consider how you might extend conversations with your children about things they're thankful for to the privileges they were born with and compare and contrast them with diverse people around the world. Include a discussion about how privilege plays a role in everyone's life and so does hard work, motivation, and drive which are controllable indicators to being successful.
Scott School Principal
The DeWitt High School will be hosting its 14th annual Veterans Day Program on Monday, November 11, 2019. Any Veteran interested is invited to a coffee reception in the high school library from 8:15 a.m. - 9:15 a.m. A student-lead program will then be held in the high school gymnasium at 9:30 a.m. to which Veterans will be escorted and honored in front of a student body. The program will end at approximately 10:30 a.m.
In addition to this year's program, DeWitt Public Schools has provided a website/link to anyone interested in donating to this event. This year's theme is "Service to your country, your community and to yourself". A portion of what is donated will be given to Blue Star Service Dogs, a non-profit organization which provides trained rescue dogs to Veterans seeking help in recovery from PTSD or any other brain-related injury while serving our country. Please visit the DPS Veterans Day website to donate or to see further details.
We would also like to see your honored family Veterans! Please consider uploading or attaching a photo of your loved ones who are serving or who have served our country! We would like to share these pictures at our program reception. Please have them uploaded by November 8th. Please follow the link https://www.dewittschools.net/veterans-day
We hope that you consider to donating to this year's program, as well as our future programs, in honor of a veteran, a military branch, and its goal to educate our students about how DeWitt honors Veterans!
Fall NWEA Data Knocked Our Socks Off
Our school-wide NWEA MAP data is celebration worthy and something to boast about.
Percentages reflect students who performed within the average, high average, and high ranges combined.
- Reading = 88%
- Math = 91%
- Reading = 82%
- Math = 80%
Winter Weather Wear
Tis the season to bust out all that winter weather wear so your child is equipped for cold elements while coming and going to school and also for recess outside on the playground. Please help your child select proper winter indoor clothing on a daily basis to wear to school too. Although shorts are comfortable and stylish, they are best suited for warm weather months, not for the blistery cold ones. Outdoor apparel such as a winter coat, warm hat, and gloves or mittens are essential items. When the snowy Michigan weather hits, snow pants and boots are also necessary. A scarf is certainly another great accessory to keep warm, but isn't a must. Thank you for helping your child be ready for Jack Frost weather and equipped for some fun in the snow.
Visitors - Lunchtime and Playground
Parents/Guardians enjoy making surprise visits to Scott School, and we welcome visitors during school hours. It is best to make these visits during lunchtime though to protect important classroom instructional time. We ask that lunch visitors wait in the office after signing in or in the seating area right outside of the office in lieu of walking to classrooms. This helps reduce distractions for all students and optimizes learning time. Also, we do not allow visitors on our playground during recess. This is to ensure the safety of our students while outside. Because Scott is a neighborhood school, it isn't uncommon for pedestrians to walk and ride bikes near our school grounds. By keeping our large playground strictly for our staff and student body, this allows playground staff to keep their attention on our students instead of investigating the purpose of other adults who enter our playground. During school hours, the playground is reserved for students and staff only. Thank you for understanding and respecting this important safety protocol.
Birthdays are a special time especially when a party outside of school is planned. To promote an inclusive environment, party invitations can only be handed out at school if all students in the classroom receive one. We understand that students may have a smaller friend group than their entire classroom of peers, so parties that are exclusive to select friends should be arranged outside of school.
Here is the latest and greatest from our awesome DeWitt PTA.
- Our annual Denim & Diamonds event is coming up THIS SATURDAY, November 9 from 6:30 p.m. -12 a.m. at the Banquet & Conference Center of DeWitt, and we couldn't be more excited! Join us for games of chance, hors d'oeuvres and a cash bar, all while enjoying a huge silent auction and a spirited live auction at this adults only event. The silent auction will include the classroom baskets, as well as a record number of teacher and coach experiences...including experiences from all three of our awesome principals! You have to attend the event to bid, and you won't want to miss out. Tickets are $10 at the door. Besides being a fun night out, this is our biggest fundraiser of the year and is a great way to support our schools through our PTA. Thank you so much for your classroom basket donations, and we hope to see you Saturday night! Kids can enjoy their own night out at DARA for a "Drop Your Kids Off" night that same evening.
- We are still accepting new members and membership renewals! Go to https://dewittpta2018.memberhub.store/ to become a member, sponsor a teacher or make a donation. You can join the PTA just to help support our schools - there is no time commitment or volunteer requirement...but we love to see new faces! If you would like to join us for our next meeting, we will be at the DeWitt Middle School Learning Commons (aka library) on Tuesday, November 12 from 7-8:30p. We'd love to introduce ourselves.
- We are working with the district to co-sponsor another diversity related event in the near future. Please watch this newsletter and our PTA Facebook page for updates.
Teacher, Staff, and Sport Team Experiences at PTA Auction
The PTA Denim & Diamonds event will be held Saturday, November 9th from 6:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m. at the Banquet & Conference Center of DeWitt, Tickets are on sale at https://www.dewittfoundation.org/eventsx/denim-diamonds-2019-registration; they are $5 in advance or $10 at the door. Here is a preview of the wonderful Scott School Teacher and Staff Experiences and also DeWitt High School Sport Team Experiences available in the silent auction this year.
- Mrs. Anderson - Enjoy an afternoon of baking holiday cookies with Mrs. Anderson. She will bring all of the materials needed to YOUR house for an afternoon of baking and decorating cookies! For you and two friends of your choice.
- Ms. Bird - Come enjoy a pizza lunch, in the classroom with Ms. Bird
- Ms. Brya - Matinee at NCG with Ms. Brya - now that's a way to spend an afternoon chillin' out with a premiere 3rd grade teacher. Winning student may invite a friend.
- Mrs. Cochrane & Mrs. Greenfield - Donuts and juice with the teachers!! Enjoy donuts and juice one morning before school with Mrs. Cochrane, Mrs. Greenfield and two of your friends.
- Mrs. Dennings - Enjoy an afternoon of cookie baking with Mrs. Dennings and two of your friends.
- Mrs. Flegel - Invite a friend to join you and Mrs. Flegel at Scoopy-Doo's for an ice cream treat!
- Mrs. Hingst - Join Mrs. Hingst for donuts one morning before school, and bring a friend!
- Mrs. Kass - One lucky student will get to join Mrs. Kass for board games and pizza on a Friday after school. Student may invite up to three friends.
- Mrs. Krumm - Bake and decorate Christmas cookies at Mrs. Krumm's house with you and your friend.
- Mrs. Larson - One lucky student will accompany Mrs. Larson to a mutually-agreed upon MSU basketball game. This experience is only open to elementary students K-5 (a parent may accompany their child, if preferred). After the game, Mrs. Larson will take your child on a behind-the-scenes tour.
- Mrs. McGinthy - After school movie with Mrs. McGinthy in the classroom. Student may invite one friend.
- Mrs. Merrifield - Strike! Your child will love this experience bowling with Mrs. Merrifield and two friends of your choice.
- Mrs. Munich - One student will get to join Mrs. Munich in the classroom after school for games and pizza. Student may invite up to three friends!!
- Mrs. Reha - Enjoy Super School Stardom with Mrs. Reha. Special star status will be given to a student by being served a celebrity lunch with a friend and helping with principal duties for the day.
- Mrs. Strawn - One lucky student will enjoy popcorn and a movie with Mrs. Strawn and her family at NCG.
- Mrs. Zarotney - Enjoy breakfast in the classroom with Mrs. Zarotney and two friends!!
SPORT TEAM EXPERIENCES
- Varsity Baseball - One student will get to sit in the dugout with our DeWitt Panther Varsity Baseball team and be the bat boy for a home game!
- Boys Varsity Basketball - One student will join the DeWitt Panthers Boys Basketball team for a practice and enjoy a home varsity game from the sidelines.
- Girls Varsity Basketball - One student will attend practice with the DeWitt Panthers Girls Varsity Basketball team and join the team on the sidelines for a varsity home game.
- Girls Golf - Come out to the driving range for a session and learn from Coach Thelen and the DeWitt Panther Girls High School Golf team! Afterward, play a round of mini-golf with the team and have an ice cream treat at the DeWitt Golf Center. Parents are responsible for transportation. This experience is for one student.
- Varsity Football - One student will receive admission to a football camp (3rd grade and up) or "Night Under the Lights" (K-3rd). Student will also receive a t-shirt and join the team on the sidelines to be the waterway for a DeWitt Panther Varsity Football game! This experience is for the Fall 2020 season.
- Girls Varsity Lacrosse - One student will get to warm up with the Girls DeWitt Panther Varsity Lacrosse team and attend a home game on the sidelines.
- Boys Varsity Soccer - One student will get to cheer on the Boys DeWitt Varsity Soccer team from the sidelines of a home game. This experience is for the Fall 2020 season.
- Varsity Softball - Join the DeWitt Panther Varsity Softball team in the dugout and be the bat girl at a home game. Student will also receive a 2020 team shirt.
- Boys Swim/Dive - One student will attend a practice and receive a 30 minute tip/instruction lesson from Coach Delaney and the Swim/Dive Team. Student will also receive a team parka for one night while supporting the team from the sideline throughout the meet.
- Girls Tennis - One lucky student will get to warm up with the Girls DeWitt Panthers Varsity Tennis team AND act as Captain. The student will announce the Panther Tennis line-up and hand out tennis balls to the team.
- Girls Varsity Volleyball - One lucky student will receive one admission to volleyball camp, a t-shirt AND will join our DeWitt Panther Girls Varsity Volleyball team on the bench at a home game. Open to grades 3-8.
Musicals - Middle School and High School
This year the high school is performing Disney's High School Musical on Thurs., 11/6 - Sun., 11/9 in the high school auditorium. High School Musical Tickets are now on sale and range in price from $10-$15. There are different cast performances, so be sure to purchase tickets for the cast you wish to watch. Students and staff at Scott School were fortunate to get a preview of the musical this week.
Also, the middle school musical, The Rainbow Fish, is coming soon on Fri., 11/15 - Sat., 11/16 and will be performed in the middle school auditorium. The Rainbow Fish Musical Tickets can be purchased for $8 online or in the office at the middle school. Reserved seating and general admission will be sold at the door at 6 p.m., but seating my be limited. Take a dive into the deep, blue ocean to see the award winning book brought to life by a very talented cast and crew!
Box Tops for Education
Box Tops for Education is changing to align with today's technology and families. Soon there will be no more clipping and only receipt scanning to support Scott School. It's simply to do, just download a the Box Tops for Education App and scan your grocery receipt. Any items that qualify will automatically credit our Scott School account. This costs nothing, but gives extra funds to our school to purchase resources and support events for students. We are still accepting clipped Box Tops, so if you have any, don't hesitate to send them in to our office.
When your child is absent, please call the Scott School Attendance line: 517-668-3458. Substitute Teachers cannot access a teacher's email, so please call the office when your child is going to be absent, will be dropped off or picked up outside of regular school hours, or has a transportation switch. Please call before 3:00 p.m., for all after school changes.